Wye Valley AONB Fund (Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire)
The Wye Valley AONB Fund (Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire) supports projects that conserve and enhance the local characteristics of wildlife, landscape, land use and community in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, including the area adjoining the AONB boundary (where the majority of the benefit is within the AONB).
About The Wye Valley AONB Fund
Grants will be awarded to support community and voluntary groups and the non-statutory activities of the Wye Valley AONB Partnership.
What Can You Apply For?
You can apply for support for projects, programmes and project staff within the following criteria.
Conservation & enhancement of the landscape.
Activities could include landscape conservation grants to organisations, landowners, land managers and community groups for:
- Conserving and enhancing the special qualities of the Wye Valley Aonb (as identified in the Wye Valley AONB Management Plan).
- Maintaining and managing of natural features including coppicing, tree and hedgerow planting, pond restoration, grassland and wetland management and heathland conservation.
- Maintaining and managing historic features including viewpoints, former industrial sites, drystone walls and historic settlements or buildings.
- Purchasing equipment to undertake conservation activities.
Promotion of public understanding & enjoyment of the Wye Valley AONB
Activities could include grants for:
- Education visits and activities.
- Information and interpretation projects, e.g. information boards, walking leaflets, websites, public transport promotion etc.
- Outreach projects, e.g. targeting disadvantaged groups.
Supporting the social and economic wellbeing of the Wye Valley AONB
Activities could include grants for:
- Enhancing community facilities, e.g. village halls.
- Start-up enterprises, e.g. farm shops, local food initiatives.
- Community enterprises, e.g. village shops, village play schemes.
- Community well-being initiatives, eg walking groups, ‘green gym’ health and exercise groups, simultaneously using and conserving the natural environment.
How much funding can I apply for?
There is no maximum grant which can be applied for, however this is not a large fund and should be used for either small scale stand-alone projects or as a modest contribution towards more substantial projects. We invite applications in the region of £1000 to £2000.
We request that the source of any match funding (cash and in-kind) is clearly identified on the application form to avoid the possibility of double funding.
Who is eligible to apply?
The Fund is open to receive applications from community groups, voluntary groups, landscape conservation groups, land managers, schools and education organisations, businesses, charities and local residents. The principal of public benefit should be demonstrated by project proposals. Applicants will need to show how they meet the overall aims of the Fund as well as the broad categories detailed above.
How are projects assessed?
Applications will be considered by the Wye Valley AONB Assessment Panel which comprises local residents representing the public, private and voluntary sectors. Each application is assessed as to how it meets the aims, criteria and objectives of the Fund, whether it provides good value/ benefits for the monies requested and whether there are sufficient funds available.
For grants of less than £1k, the assessment decision is delegated to the Panel Chairperson in combination with a HCF Trustee and the AONB Manager.
When can I apply?
The Wye Valley AONB Fund is open for applications all year. The AONB Community Links Officer can advise on the next Assessment Panel meeting and when best to submit your application.
It is recommended that you discuss your ideas with the Wye Valley AONB Community Links Officer prior to making an application. They will help frame your application and increase the likelihood of a successful assessment and grant award.
AONB Community Links Officer
Wye Valley AONB,
Monmouth NP25 3NG
Tel: 01600 710844
This Fund is open for donations and all
contributions are very much appreciated.
If you are interested in applying to this Fund,
please contact us to discuss.